I pretty much grew up on beans every day of my life. To the point where I, being a selfish teenager at the time, wanted nothing to do with beans ever again. But time passed and as I’ve grown older, I love my half-latin heritage so much and now miss having beans for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner (yes, all 3, every day)!
Today we’re making it happen with these delicious 10-Minute Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas!
They’re breakfast, but personally I think they would make an awesome lunch or dinner as well. Because HELLO tostada life is the best life! These tostadas can also easily be converted to tacos. All you have to do is change the tortilla type!
What is Huevos Rancheros and Where does it Come From?
Huevos Rancheros is a Mexican breakfast recipe consisting of eggs. Huevos means eggs and Rancheros is referring to a ranch or farm as the breakfast was traditionally served on rural Mexican farms translating as Eggs Ranch Style.
This recipe is my own take on Huevos Rancheros and breakfast tostadas. There’s a layer of beans then egg and it’s topped with tomatoes, avocado and crumbled queso fresco cheese. Utterly delicious and perfect for a lazy weekend brunch.
Making Refried Beans
Now let’s talk about these refried beans. I used HERDEZ® Instant Refried Beans because they’re SO super easy to make (5 minutes, y’all) and keep the authenticity of the recipe! In this case I used the Traditional flavor, but there are also Jalapeño, Chorizo, and Queso flavors that would taste amazing on these tostadas.
Head over to your local grocery bean aisle (now available in Phoenix, Denver, San Diego, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Houston, and Des Moines) or the HERDEZ® Website to purchase them online! Also, be sure to check out more delicious HERDEZ® recipes here as well!
For this recipe you will just need tostada tortillas, HERDEZ® Instant Refried Beans, eggs, tomatoes (canned is fine), and the 3 Ingredient Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing (optional, but SO necessary and SO easy to make)! I generally keep that stuff in stock anyway, so this recipe is a great “go-to”!
Is Huevos Rancheros Healthy?
Yes, it’s a delicious healthy breakfast or brunch recipe that is not only easy to put together but super versatile. You can customize your breakfast tostadas with whatever you like, make them as healthy or as indulgent as you like!
Delicious Topping Ideas for Huevos Rancheros
There are so many different toppings you could choose for these Huevos Rancheros, you can go all out or keep it simple. Here are some ideas:
- Chopped tomatoes – simple easy and delicious
- Salsa – you can go mild or spicy depending on your preference
- Avocado – Gives a fresh a creamy flavor
- Guacamole – Go all out and make homemade guac
- Jalapenos – Adds a spicy kick
- Cheese – I use queso fresco but feta will also work well
Top Tip: You can make all the toppings in advance so when you’re ready to eat all you need to do is fry the eggs and make the instant refried beans.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Tofu Scramble Vegan Breakfast Bowl
- Tomato & Lentil Breakfast Bruschetta
- Poached Egg & Avocado Breakfast Salad
- The BEST Healthy Breakfast Tacos
10-Minute Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas
- 1 pacakage HERDEZ® Refried Beans
- 4 eggs
- 4 tostada tortillas
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 oz crumbled queso fresco (optional)
- Cook beans according to directions.
- While the beans are cooking, lightly fry 4 eggs.
- Top each tostada tortilla with lettuce, refried beans, an egg, avocado slices, chopped tomatoes, and queso fresco.
- Serve and enjoy!
Delicious Topping Ideas for Huevos RancherosThere are so many different toppings you could choose for these Huevos Rancheros, you can go all out or keep it simple. Here are some ideas:
- Chopped tomatoes - simple easy and delicious
- Salsa - you can go milk or spicy depending on your preference
- Avocado - Gives a fresh a creamy flavor
- Guacamole - Go all out and make homemade guac
- Jalapenos - Adds a spicy kick
- Cheese - I use queso fresco but feta will also work well
Leave a Reply