Vegan Berry Lemon Curd Tart Recipe
I love making this recipe for spring and summer gatherings. It’s so lively, fresh, and good! And while it does take a little time to whisk the lemon curd (not too much though – don’t worry), it’s 100% worth it for the delicious, melt-in-your-mouth goodness of this vegan lemon tart. Make this recipe the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to serve, top it off with fresh berries, powdered sugar, or anything you like for the ultimate vegan treat!
Table of Contents
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
Vegan Tart Shell
- Flour/Salt – This recipe uses all-purpose flour. However, feel free to substitute half of the flour for whole wheat flour! A 1-to-1 ratio gluten-free flour works great, too.
- Powdered Sugar
- Vegan Butter – Cold, unsalted vegan butter is essential for that buttery crust flavor! These vegan butter sticks are excellent for dicing before mixing with flour.
- Flax Egg – Ground flax seed mixed with a little warm water makes for the BEST vegan egg substitute!
Vegan Lemon Curd
- Fresh Lemon Juice/Zest
- Granulated Sugar – Feel free to substitute for coconut sugar, if desired!
- Vegan Butter – A definite must for vegan lemon curd!
- Plain Vegan Yogurt – This yogurt works great.
- Ground Turmeric – Adds the most beautiful, rich color!
How to Make a Vegan Lemon Curd Tart with Berries
Ready to get started? Here’s an overview of how to make a vegan lemon curd tart with berries!
1. Bake the Crust
Mix the vegan crust dough and press into a 10-inch springform pan lined with parchment paper. Chill the crust in the freezer, then bake!
2. Make the Lemon Curd
Heat lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, salt, and vegan butter together in a saucepan. Add in cornstarch, vegan plain yogurt, and turmeric, whisking constantly until the curd thickens. Remove from heat and continue to stir until the lemon curd begins to cool to room temperature.
3. Chill the Vegan Lemon Curd Tart
Pour the cooled lemon curd into the tart crust and place in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours or up to overnight. This helps it set up!
4. Add Berries
Lastly, carefully remove the tart from the springform pan and add fresh berries of choice. Top with powdered sugar, meringue, whipped cream, or anything you like!
How to Store
This Vegan Lemon Tart can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days! It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply place the tart slices in the fridge the night before!
More Vegan Desserts You’ll Love
- Vegan Cookie Bars
- Vegan Butterfinger Cheesecake
- Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe
- Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Vegan Berry Lemon Curd Tart
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 10 Tablespoons vegan butter (very cold or frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed (mixed with 2 Tablespoons of warm water)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Bake The Crust
- Line a 10-inch springform with parchment paper (or a tart pan).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Cube the butter (about 1/4-1/2 inch pieces) into the bowl and mix with your hands or a pastry cutter until a rough dough forms. Note: You can also use a food processor!
- Mix the ground flax seeds with the warm water for about 1 minute.
- Add the flax seed mixture and vanilla into the dough and mix until it starts to come together.
- Scoop the dough into the pan. Working from the center, lightly press the dough into the prepared springform pan and go up the sides about 1-2 inches.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, placing the rack in the center of the oven.
- Remove the prepared pan from the freezer and bake for 15-17 minutes (or until golden brown).
Make Vegan Lemon Curd Filling
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lemon juice, zest, sugar, salt, and vegan butter. Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted.
- In a small bowl, slurry the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of the mixture in the saucepan, until dissolved.
- Reduce to low heat and add in the yogurt, cornstarch mixture, and turmeric.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency; do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir to stop the cooking.
- Let it cool to room temperature then pour it into your tart crust and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.