This recipe is a weeknight dream come true! With a creamy texture and the delicious flavors of pumpkin and sage, this is the ultimate healthy comfort food. It’s savory, hearty, wholesome, and easy to adjust to your own personal taste. My family absolutely loved this Pumpkin Pasta recipe and I know that you will, too!
RELATED: 50+ Healthy Fall Recipes
In This Post
You only need a few simple ingredients for this recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
Pumpkin – Real pumpkin purée is the core of the pumpkin pasta sauce!
Vegetable Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth are both great options for this recipe.
Sage – Fresh sage is best for adding delicious flavor to this pasta. However, dried sage works great, too!
Spinach – I love adding fresh spinach to pasta recipes for added nutrition. Kale is an option as well!
White Wine Vinegar – A tiny amount of white wine vinegar brightens this pumpkin pasta to perfection!
Milk of Choice – I used regular milk, but unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk are also great choices!
Olive Oil – The base of the pumpkin pasta sauce, aside from pumpkin, is olive oil!
Garlic – Freshly minced garlic is best in this recipe. Garlic powder works great, too!
Grated Parmesan – Grated parmesan brings this recipe together, adding a creamy, cheesy flavor.
Chopped Walnuts + Roasted Pepitas – Walnuts and roasted pepitas and the perfect amount of crunchy texture. They also add healthy fats and protein!
How to Make Pumpkin Pasta
Making this pumpkin pasta is so quick and easy! Here’s how to put it together:
1. Cook the Pasta
The first step is to cook the pasta according to directions. Usually this takes about 10-12 minutes, and you can work on the next step while it cooks!
2. Make the Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
The pumpkin pasta sauce is everything! Simply cook and whisk together the pumpkin, milk, vinegar, broth, salt, and pepper. Add in sage and parmesan, letting it reduce a bit. Remove from heat and add in the spinach.
3. Add Pasta and Toppings
The last step is to add in the cooked pasta and toppings. Then serve and enjoy!
The Best Type of Pasta for Pumpkin Pasta
Fettuccine, bowtie, penne, or rotini are all great options for pumpkin pasta. Personally, I love using whole wheat or chickpea pasta as my go-to for weeknight dinners. However, any type of pasta should work great in this recipe!
Other Topping Ideas
Make this recipe your own with other pairings and topping options! Here are a few ideas:
- Freshly Sliced Mozzarella
- Roasted Chicken
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Italian Sausage
- Hemp Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Chopped Cashews
How to Store Pumpkin Pasta
To store pumpkin pasta, let it cool completely. Place in an airtight container and add the lid. Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months!
This pasta recipe is best reheated in the microwave. Add a little bit of water to the container, then microwave for about 1-3 minutes (depending on the serving size and microwave), checking and stirring often.
More Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Salad
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Easy Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
- Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes
More Weeknight Pasta Ideas
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Bake
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- 10-Minute Avocado Pasta Sauce
- Spinach & Mushroom Vegetarian Lasagna
- Creamy Salmon Pasta Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
The BEST Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh sage (or 1 Tablespoon dried sage)
- 1/2 cups grated parmesan
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons roasted pepitas
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- Over medium heat, cook the olive oil and garlic in a saucepan for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the pumpkin, milk, vinegar, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk and let simmer for about 5 min.
- Add in the sage and parmesan.
- Let simmer and reduce for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then add in the spinach.
- Mix together, then add in the cooked pasta.
- Top with walnuts, pepitas, extra parmesan (optional), and garnish with sage.