Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings (Video)
It doesn’t get any cozier than a delicious bowl of chicken & dumplings! This healthier version of the classic soup uses gluten-free flour for the dumplings and a plain yogurt mixture to add creaminess. It’s easy to make and perfect for a comfort food meal any night of the week!
Here’s what’s in this post:
- How to Make Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
- Your Questions Answered
- More Gluten-Free Recipes You’ll Love
RELATED: Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
The Chicken Soup Base
- Onion, Carrots, & Celery – Fresh veggies are best, but frozen would work as well.
- Olive Oil
- Plain Yogurt – Trust me on this one! Yogurt is a great way to add creaminess to soups, but you have to make sure to whisk it with a little warm water first. Not feeling the yogurt? Feel free to use sour cream instead!
- Chicken Broth
- Cooked Chicken
- Bay Leaves – You can cook with them and leave them in or take them out at the end – whatever you prefer.
- Dried Thyme
- Gluten-Free Flour – A 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour works best for making the dumplings in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth
- Baking Powder
- Parsley & Chives – Feel free to use fresh herbs or dried ones!
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
One of the best things about making Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings is that the dough goes right into the soup, making it super easy to put together. Here’s how to make this cozy recipe in about 30-35 minutes!
- Saute the vegetables in a stock pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in the rest of the soup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- While the soup cooks, mix together the dumplings batter in a large bowl.
- Use a greased cookie dough or ice cream scoop to scoop the dough mixture into the soup.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When scooping the dumpling dough into the soup, feel free to continue adding oil to the scoop to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Add freshly chopped parsley over this soup for a delicious topping!
- Not feeling the yogurt in this recipe? Sour cream is a great option, too!
This soup is perfect for refrigerating or freezing and reheating later! Here’s how to store the recipe:
Refrigerator – Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Freezer – Let cool in a container without the lid in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Add the lid, then store it in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Your Questions Answered
How Do You Thicken Chicken & Dumplings Without Flour?
Potato starch or corn starch is perfect for thickening chicken & dumplings soup without using flour. To thicken the soup, whisk the starch together with a little bit of water, then add it to the boiling soup (making sure to stir it quickly).
What Are Gluten-Free Dumplings Made Of?
Gluten-free dumplings are made with a gluten-free flour mixture, eggs, broth, baking powder, and seasoning.
What Keeps the Dumplings From Falling Apart?
The key to keeping dumplings from falling apart is to make sure to drop them into the soup quickly while the liquid is boiling. To do this, it’s important to use a greased spoon or ice cream scoop to keep the dough from sticking, helping it stay together as it goes into the soup.
How Do You Know When Dumplings Are Done Cooking?
Dumplings should float in the chicken soup mixture. When you think they may be done, insert a toothpick into a dumpling. If it comes out sticky, then the dumpling needs more time to cook!
More Gluten-Free Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Spanish Rice & Beans
- Dairy-Free Tuscan Chicken
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Rosemary Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (mix with 1/4 cup warm water first)
- 3 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- fresh parsley, chopped for topping (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Saute the onion, carrots, and celery with the olive oil for about 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt with ¼ cup of warm water to thin slightly.
- Add in the cooked chicken, chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, and yogurt mixture. Bring to a low boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in all of the remaining ingredients for the dumplings until a smooth dough forms. It will be very sticky.
- Lightly grease a small or medium cookie scoop and drop the dumplings right into the soup. You can make them big or small.
- If you notice the dough sticking to the scoop, just spray again with oil.
- Simmer, uncovered for 10-12 minutes, then cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley (optional) and enjoy!
Leave a Reply