This could very possibly be my most favorite recipe ever. No one will ever truly know for sure, because it seems that I have about a million favorite recipes, but this one really has me gawking! And considering I have no background in making asian food (makes you really trust my recipe, doesn’t it 😉 ), I must say I’m pretty proud of this one. If you do happen to be reading this and know a lot about thai/chinese/american fusions, please don’t judge me. I have no claim to authenticity here, just a really really really REALLY delicious, easy, and healthy recipe. 😉
First things first, we absolutely must discuss the powerhouse flavor of this dish. The best way I might be able to describe it is as an explosion of spicy flavor balanced by a light, sweet, and savory flavor! If you love spicy, this dish is for YOU. If you hate spicy, leave out the crushed red pepper and/or add some mandarin slices like I did 😉 As I mentioned in the Jerk Chicken Tacos recipe, I tend to be little bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food. But this dish was incredible, and I actually left the crushed red pepper in my bowl (that’s right, be proud)!
I LOVE using these stir-fry noodles whenever I make asian food (also used in the Sweet & Sour Porkless Bites Stir-Fry recipe). Oh and checkout my new fancy bowl! HUGE shoutout to my amazing aunt Mary who made these herself. What I would do for that talent!
What do you say? Spicy, or non-spicy food?
Spicy Cashew Chicken (Noodle Bowls Recipe)
Cashew Chicken Noodles
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2-3 Tablespoons avocado oil (for cooking)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup green onion (just the white part at the ends)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2/3 cup roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (decrease to 1/2 teaspoon for less spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (decrease to 1/2 teaspoon for less spice)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat up the avocado oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Once warm, add the garlic and green onion. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the chicken and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned but not totally cooked through.
- Add in the bell peppers and zucchini, then saute for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and veggies.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes to let the sauce thicken and flavors blend.
- Stir in the roasted cashews and the remaining green bits from the onion.
- Serve over the noodles and enjoy!
Leave a Reply