This may TRULY be my hands-down favorite soup of all time! It’s simple, straight-forward, easy to make, and perfect for making ahead of time. It’s also healthy and great for feeding a crowd!
The best part about this Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup? It’s anything but boring. With balancing flavors like lemon and parsley, hearty textures in the rice and split peas, and delicious chicken and veggies, this soup is one that I can keep on repeat. Even my toddler loves it!
RELATED: 15 Healthy Winter Soups
Table of contents
What you’ll need
The only equipment necessary for this cozy soup is a dutch oven or stock pot! Here are some of the main ingredients you’ll need for this easy chicken lemon rice soup recipe:
Carrots – Sliced or chopped carrots are delicious in this recipe! Frozen carrots would also work, but would need to be added in later in the recipe.
Chicken Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth are both great options in this recipe.
Chicken – My favorite method for this soup is to use rotisserie chicken! Another option is to roast a chicken or use baked chicken breast in this recipe.
Lemon – The flavors of fresh lemon juice in this recipe are SO yummy!
Parsley – Balance the bright lemon flavors with wholesome, fresh parsley. Dried parsley is also a great option!
How to make Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
This Chicken Lemon and Rice Soup is truly one of the easiest recipes EVER. You’ll love how hearty, healthy, and delicious it is! Here’s a rundown of how to make it:
1. Cook the onion in a dutch oven.
2. Cook the carrots.
2. Add in the water, broth, green split peas, and rice.
4. Add in the cooked chicken, lemon, parsley, and seasoning.
Making this Chicken Lemon Rice Soup in the crockpot
I love making this Chicken Lemon Rice Soup in a dutch oven, but it can also be made in the crockpot! To cook this recipe in the slow cooker:
- Place everything but the rice and chicken in the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Add in the rice and cooked chicken.
- Cook on high for 1 more hour or low for 2 more hours (or until the veggies are soft and the rice is fully cooked).
Make it creamy
Take this healthy chicken soup to the next level by making it creamy! Mix about 1/4 cup of plain yogurt with about 1/4 cup of warm water and whisk until smooth. Pour into the soup when you add in the lemon juice at the end!
Another option for making Chicken Lemon Rice Soup creamy is to whisk 2 eggs with the lemon juice and add it in. This also adds nutrition!
Lemon Rice Soup variations
This recipe has so many variations! You can really make it your own. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Add celery along with the carrots.
- Use bay leaves along with the parsley.
- Mix in peas for more delicious nutrition.
- Adjust lemon juice to taste!
More healthy soup recipes you’ll love
- Easy Turkey Noodle Soup
- The BEST Beef Stew Recipe
- Easy Weeknight Vegetarian Borscht
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup
Get healthy recipes delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to our email list!
Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot, heat up the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the chopped onion and sliced carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the split peas, water, and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the rice and simmer for another 10-15 minutes (or until split peas are soft and rice is fluffy).
- Add in the chicken, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes (or until everything is evenly hot).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of broth to taste!