Asparagus is one of our favorite vegetables to serve at as a side dish with dinner. With it being available year-round and peaking in the spring, we love having it on hand during this time of the year!
Aside from being loaded with amazing nutrients, it has a delicious taste when it’s cooked perfectly. It pairs wonderfully with salmon, chicken, pasta dishes (like lasagna), and even tastes amazing mixed into salads. Today, we’re sharing how to take the guess work out of roasting asparagus and learn how to cook it to perfection every single time!
What you’ll need
For this recipe, you’ll need a bunch of asparagus, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Other options include avocado oil, butter, and freshly minced garlic if desired!
How to clean asparagus
The first step to cooking asparagus is to clean it! Simply wash the asparagus a few spears at a time and set on a towel. You can also dry the asparagus between two towels.
How to trim asparagus
The goal for trimming asparagus is to remove the tough, woody part at the end of each spear. To do this, cut about 1-1.5″ off of the end of each spear (or where it seems that the “tough” part ends and the “tender” part begins).
How to roast asparagus
Now for the best part – roasting the asparagus! This process is actually VERY easy to do and once you have it down, it’ll be your go-to method every time. Here’s how to perfectly roast asparagus:
1. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet.
2. Drizzle with 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil.
3. Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt, and pepper evenly over the asparagus spears.
4. Roast at 425 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway.
The trick to getting perfectly roasted asparagus is making sure that the temperature and the amount of time are just right! Adjust the time based on the thickness of the asparagus, checking on it often and tossing halfway through the cooking time.
Delicious recipes with asparagus
- Fig & Goat Cheese Salad
- Barbecue Salmon & Quinoa
- Simple Green Goodness Chickpea Salad
- Basil Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni
Loving this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below!
Oven-Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Clean the asparagus and trim the ends.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Evenly sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper over the asparagus.
- Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is crispy on top and tender in the middle.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to use avocado oil or butter instead of olive oil.
- Minced garlic also works great in this recipe!
- Adjust the time based on the thickness of the asparagus, checking on it often and tossing halfway through the cooking time.
- To trim the asparagus, cut about 1-1.5″ off of the end of each spear (or where it seems that the “tough” part ends and the “tender” part begins).