It doesn’t get much better than healthy, easy, and comfort food recipes that comes together in no time at all, does it? Today, we’re sharing one of our favorite go-to quick dinner recipes that’s perfect for the entire family: Vegetarian Enchiladas! Here’s what we’re loving about them:
- They’re the ultimate throw-together dinner!
- They have a creamy, savory, hearty, melty-cheese taste with just the right amount of kick.
- These enchiladas taste just as amazing as leftovers and can also be prepared in advance for the week ahead!
RELATED: Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti Recipe
Tips for making Vegetarian Enchiladas
What types of vegetables to use?
Zucchini, bell peppers, and black beans are great for using in vegetarian enchiladas! Other options include mushrooms, carrots, and squash.
We used whole wheat tortillas in this recipe. However, regular flour tortillas or these lower-carb tortillas work great, too!
The enchilada sauce
Enchilada sauce mixed with plain greek yogurt (or sour cream, if preferred) makes for the perfect flavor and texture in enchiladas!
In this recipe, we used this enchilada sauce. Depending on how thick (or thin) the enchilada sauce is, the yogurt can be adjusted to taste.
How to fold enchiladas
Folding enchiladas can seem tricky, but it’s actually really easy! Simply fold one end of the tortilla over the other end, then slowly flip the entire enchilada over to ensure that the seam is face down. Move the enchilada to the edge of the casserole dish and you’re ready to get started on the next one!
More vegetarian dinner recipes you’ll love:
- Easy Vegetarian Summer Chili
- Vegetarian Spicy Korean Bibimbap Bowls
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash
Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the bell peppers and zucchini into small (approximately 1/4" size) cubes.
- Pour the olive oil into a sauce pan and cook the cubed vegetables and spices over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the beans and cook for about another 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Whisk the enchilada sauce and greek yogurt until smooth.
- Pour half of the mixture over the vegetables in the sauce pan, mix together, and remove from heat.
- Place the tortillas in a casserole dish and spoon the vegetable mixture evenly into each one.
- Roll each tortilla into an enchilada and flip over (seam side down).
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce mixture over the enchiladas and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!