‘Tis the season, friends! And I’m really digging gingerbread everything right now! I just bought some of these adorable gingerbread men cookie cutters and cannot wait for them to come in so that I can make ALL THE GINGERBREAD COOKIES.
Until then, I’m incorporating gingerbread into everything that I can find! Starting with this gingerbread french toast recipe. This recipe is actually a variation of the Healthy French Toast recipe, with a little bit of a Christmas twist ;-). Here are a few things I learned in the making of this recipe:
- Gingerbread has ginger in it. Therefore it’s healthy, right?
- No but for real, this recipe is actually healthy.
- Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help reduce pain, nausea, and prevent diseases.
- Opposite of what I’ve chosen to believe, gingerbread itself is not an actual flavor or seasoning.
- It’s a combination of spices that we’ve come to know as “gingerbread”.
- But I’m going to keep believing that it is, and I will go forth and spread gingerbread into all of the world.
- Especially but not limited to desserts and breakfast.
In all seriousness, this recipe is sooooo amazing. Cody and I ate this for dessert after dinner one night and savored EVERY BITE. We didn’t even have to use that much syrup because each bite is full of melt-in-your mouth Christmas goodness!
You might actually need to double this recipe, now that I think about it. This gingerbread french toast is SERIOUS stuff, ya’ll.
How To Make The Gingerbread Spice
As I mentioned before to get that gingerbread flavor you need a mix of spices. Here’s what you need;
These flavors are so cozy and warming and let’s face it could make anything taste delicious. All you need to do is mix them together with the other ingredients including sugar, eggs and maple syrup and soak your bread into the mixture before frying.
You can pretty much top this french toast with whatever you want but here are some idea depending on whether you have it for breakfast or dessert.
- Fresh fruit such as bananas, oranges, berries
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Ice cream
- Nuts such as walnuts, pecans, cashews
- Powdered sugar
More Delicious Brunch Recipes You Might Like;
- Grilled Avocado Goat Cheese Toast
- Gingerbread Oatmeal Pancakes
- Pecan Pie Pancakes
- Tomato & Lentil Breakfast Bruschetta
Gingerbread French Toast
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 Tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 6 slices bread (brioche, whole wheat, gluten-free - your choice!)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, salt, and spices.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with the butter or coconut oil.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture, making sure to coat each side evenly.
- Cook in the skillet over medium heat on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve with fresh berries, cranberries, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and/or chopped nuts.