Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Icing
I can honestly say that there are few things I love more than baking in the fall. Give me a rainy, cool day, leaves falling, and something sweet baking in the oven! I’m all about it. Now, living in Oklahoma, that realistically happens for like two weeks in our tiny season of fall (we pretty much go from summer straight to winter). But I soak it up, and these pumpkin bars are one of my favorites for the season!
My family and I have been obsessing over these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars with cream cheese icing! I also make a vegan version for my toddler with allergies (see substitutions below). Even though they’re gluten-free, they’re anything but dry. The cake is light, moist, and has the best flavor and texture. The icing brings it all together! I’ve been making these on repeat because they are just SO. GOOD!
RELATED: 45+ Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Puree – Canned or homemade are both great.
- Brown Sugar
- Butter – Or coconut oil.
- Vanilla Extract/Eggs
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Ground cinnamon is another great option!
- Baking Powder/Baking Soda/Salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter (melted)
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar
Tip: Easily make this recipe dairy-free by using vegan butter and vegan cream cheese!
How to Make Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars
All you need is a large bowl and an 8×8″ baking pan to put these easy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars together! Here’s how to make this recipe:
- Whisk liquid ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients on top.
- Lightly mix the dry ingredients together, then fold into the liquid ingredients.
- Pour the batter into an 8×8″ (or 9×9″) baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Mix the icing ingredients together with an electric mixer.
- Spread the icing over the cooled pumpkin cake, then cut into bars.
Tip: Feel free to use store-bought icing (or any type of icing you like) to save time!
How to Store
Store the cooled pumpkin spice bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator, separating layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Consume within 3-5 days for optimal freshness.
These bars can also be frozen! When ready to enjoy, simply thaw them out the night before in the fridge. I like to heat them up in the microwave for just a few seconds and then add the frosting right before enjoying!
More Gluten-Free Fall Treats
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Crunch Squares
- Maple Gluten-Free Donuts
- Vegan Butterfinger Cheesecake
- Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars (One-Bowl)
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (slightly melted)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter (or vegan butter), brown sugar, and pumpkin puree. Mix until well combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and eggs
- Add the gluten-free all-purpose flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on top of the liquid ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients lightly, then fold them into the liquid ingredients just until combined (making sure not to overmix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the bars are baking, prepare the icing. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until the icing is creamy and well combined.
- Once the pumpkin spice bars have cooled completely, spread the icing evenly over the top.
- Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!