The holidays are here and we’re celebrating with one of our favorite desserts: gingerbread cookies! They’re perfectly soft in the centers, lightly crunchy on the edges, sweet, and have the right amount of festive flavors. This Soft Gingerbread Cookies Recipe is truly one of our favorites and we know that your friends and family will love it!
Tip: Invite people over to make and decorate these gingerbread cookies with you! Find ideas for hosting a cookie decorating party and other fun December musts in the December Bucket List.
Making Soft Gingerbread Cookies
Making soft gingerbread cookies is actually very easy! Simply combine the ingredients, mix together, then roll the dough into a ball. Flatten the dough on a flour-dusted surface, then cut out the desired shapes. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes!
Here’s what you’ll need for making the soft gingerbread cookies:
- The flour: in this case, we used a mixture of whole wheat flour and oat flour. However, all-purpose flour works great, too!
- Coconut oil: we used coconut oil instead of butter. If you prefer butter, feel free to substitute the oil (lightly melted butter is best)!
- Molasses: Using molasses in gingerbread cookies is a total must!
- Brown sugar + maple syrup: To sweeten the cookies, we used a mixture of brown sugar and maple syrup.
- The spices: A mix of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg makes for perfect winter gingerbread flavors!
Cutting out the shapes
The options here are limitless! From gingerbread men (and women), to snowflakes, to Christmas trees, there are many ways to cut out the cookies using cookie cutters. Another option is to simply make round gingerbread cookies by rolling the dough into several 1″ sized balls and flatting into cookie rounds on the baking sheet!
Decorating the cookies
Decorating gingerbread cookies can be as simple (or detailed) as you want it to be! Piping a simple royal icing on to the cookies is one of the easiest ways to take them up a notch. Another option would be to simply dust a layer of powdered sugar over the cookies using a powder shaker.
More holiday cookies you’ll love:
- Soft Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Favorite Gluten-Free Almond Cookies Recipe
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Healthy Cookie Recipe
More gingerbread recipes:
- Healthy Gingerbread Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe
- Gingerbread Cookie Overnight Oats
- Gingerbread Loaf
- Easy Gingerbread French Toast Bake
Soft Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, oat flour, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix until the dough is smooth.
- Roll half of the dough into a ball, then flatten on a flour-dusted surface using a rolling pin.
- Cut out the desired shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Take the leftover dough and the remaining dough in the mixing bowl, roll into another ball, and repeat the flattening process.
- Repeat steps 6-7 until the dough is gone.
- Bake the cookies for about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool, decorate, and enjoy!