Gnocchi with Butternut Squash Sauce – The Best Cozy Dinner!
I love gnocchi. There’s just something about the taste of those deliciously soft dumplings with a creamy sauce that makes for the coziest vibes! After making my Creamy Lemon Kale Pesto Gnocchi this summer, I knew I wanted to make a fall version of the wholesome recipe. This potato gnocchi with the best-ever butternut squash sauce is truly perfection, and I know you’ll love it too!
Here’s a quick recipe rundown (video):
You’ll Also Love: 65+ Easy Healthy Crockpot Recipes
What You’ll Need
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find! Here’s what you’ll need, along with a few substitution notes.
Butternut Squash – You can peel and cube whole butternut squash, but I highly recommend purchasing pre-cut butternut squash if you can. It’s a huge time saver!
Olive Oil – The olive oil in this recipe adds a delicious flavor!
Gnocchi – Any type of potato gnocchi works great. You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by substituting gnocchi made with gluten-free flour!
Shallot – The flavor of the sauteed shallot adds even more flavor to this recipe. Don’t have a shallot on hand? Use 1/4 of a sweet onion instead.
Minced Garlic – Freshly minced garlic is best in this recipe! However, you can use 2 teaspoons of garlic powder instead, if necessary.
Sage/Thyme – Fresh herbs work best since they are sauteed with the shallot and garlic for the ultimate flavor combination. However, you can use 1 teaspoon of dried sage and dried thyme each if you don’t have fresh herbs on hand!
Milk – Any type of milk works great (both regular and plant-based), as long as the milk is not sweetened! Some of my favorites are 2% milk, whole milk, cashew milk, or soy milk. Almond milk can work too but tends to have a more liquidy texture than the others.
Red Pepper Flakes – A touch of red pepper flakes adds the right amount of contrast to this gnocchi recipe.
Kale – The sauteed kale is SO good and pairs perfectly with the butternut squash sauce! Want a crunchier texture? You can roast the kale instead.
Parmesan – Ready for the secret to this sauce? Parmesan cheese! It truly takes things to another level. Be sure to set a little extra aside for topping off the gnocchi!
Note: For a dairy-free sauce, use vegan parmesan instead!
How to Make Butternut Squash Gnocchi
Making this Butternut Squash Gnocchi recipe comes down to 4 simple steps: roast the squash, cook the gnocchi, blend the butternut squash sauce, and pour it over everything. It’s so easy to make and one of my favorite fall dinner recipes! Here’s how to make it:
- Roast the butternut squash with oil until it’s tender.
- Boil the gnocchi to cook.
- Saute the shallot with garlic and herbs.
- Add it to a blender along with the roasted squash, milk, and seasoning.
- Blend until smooth to create the sauce!
- Saute kale and garlic, then add it to the gnocchi.
- Pour the butternut squash sauce over everything and enjoy!
Tip: Love this butternut squash sauce recipe? It doesn’t just have to go on gnocchi. Add it to any type of pasta you want!
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Gnocchi
Add a protein of your choice, pair it with a salad, or simply add a baguette on the side. There are so many ways to serve something delicious along with this Butternut Squash Gnocchi recipe! Here are a few ideas:
- Roasted Chickpea Fall Salad
- Baked Spinach Chicken Meatballs
- Roasted Pumpkin Salad
- Apricot Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- Quinoa Salad With Feta Cheese
- Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad
- Green Goodness Chickpea Salad
- Honey Balsamic Chicken & Veggies
Storing This Recipe
While the gnocchi is always best served fresh, it can also be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for 3-5 days!
To reheat, simply heat it up in the microwave (covered) for a few minutes. Then enjoy!
Take this gnocchi recipe to another level with these yummy toppings!
- Crumbled Walnuts
- Red Pepper Flakes
- More Fresh Herbs
- Extra Parmesan Cheese
- Crushed Pecans
More Squash Recipes You’ll Love
- Spicy Southwest Butternut Squash Casserole
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Quinoa & Mushroom Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Garlic Quinoa
Did you make this Butternut Squash Gnocchi recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Butternut Squash Gnocchi
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups milk (of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 cups kale
- more parmesan for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cubed butternut squash to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roast the squash for about 25 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the gnocchi according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute the shallot with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in thyme and sage and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add to a blender with the cooked squash, milk, red pepper flakes, and salt (starting with 1 ½ cups of milk and adding more as needed to thin out the sauce).
- Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add to a pot on the stove and mix in the parmesan.
- In the same pan you used to cook the shallot, add the kale, final tablespoon of minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute until the kale has wilted.
- Add the cooked gnocchi and kale to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with fresh grated parmesan and enjoy!
Leave a Reply