Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake – The BEST Healthy Pasta Recipe
When it comes to healthy pasta recipes for busy weeknights, I need them quick, easy, cheesy, and flavorful! This Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake has always been one of my favorite go-to’s. I love making this recipe with chickpea penne pasta, but whole wheat or regular pasta works great, too! Use your favorite sauce, adjust the mozzarella to taste, and feel free to really make it your own. This is one of those recipes you’ll definitely want to save and keep on repeat!
RELATED: Creamy Lemon Garlic Pasta
What You’ll Need
- Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (or spaghetti) – chickpea pasta or gluten-free pasta are also great options!
- Olive Oil
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Chopped Spinach
- Pasta Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Mozzarella Slices (or another 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella)
- Fresh Oregano
- Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
How to Make a Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake
This almost-one-pan healthy dinner recipe is so easy to put together! And the best part is that you can make it in just 30 minutes. Here’s how to make a delicious, hearty Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake:
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, saute the garlic and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe pan).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped spinach.
- Add the cooked pasta, pasta sauce, seasoning, and shredded mozzarella.
- Top the casserole with fresh mozzarella slices (or more shredded mozzarella).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, then let cool for another 5 minutes.
You’ll Also Love: 10-Minute Avocado Pasta Sauce
- I like using a cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet) to keep it all in one pan. However, you can also saute the mushrooms and garlic, then pour it all into a baking dish or casserole dish!
- Feel free to use a homemade pasta sauce instead. I always love using homemade sauces, but since this recipe is focused on busy weeknights, I decided to go with a jar of marinara sauce instead. This one is so good!
- Add a little bit of parmesan cheese over the top to really take the cheesy goodness up a notch!
- This recipe is vegetarian, but you can also add any type of protein of choice (chicken, ground beef, sausage).
- Top with fresh oregano and red pepper flakes for an extra delicious meal!
Store leftovers in an airtight glass container (since the pasta sauce can stain plastic)! This recipe can last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
To freeze, let cool in the fridge for 1 hour before moving to the freezer. When ready to enjoy, reheat from frozen in the microwave or put it back in the oven until everything is warm!
More Healthy Pasta Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- Shrimp Scampi w/ Zucchini Noodles
- Chicken Tomato Pesto Burrata Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (washed and dried)
- 2-3 cups chopped spinach
- 24 ounces pasta sauce (about 2.5 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella (or another 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella)
- fresh oregano for garnish
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain, set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in large cast iron skillet.
- Lightly sauté the garlic, then add in the sliced mushrooms.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Add the chopped spinach and turn off the heat.
- Quickly add the pasta, pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Mix in the shredded mozzarella.
- Top with sliced mozzarella (or more shredded mozzarella).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, let cool slightly, and enjoy!