One thing I know for sure: you can make or break a salad by the dressing you choose to put on it. I used to hate salads! But I can honestly say that it’s because I was using store bought dressings with fake ingredients and not the best taste. Once I started making my own homemade vinaigrettes and dressings, it was life changing!
This Southwest Salad Dressing is INCREDIBLY easy to make. All you have to do is throw everything together in a salad dressing shaker or whisk it together and store it in the fridge for a delicious, healthy salad dressing that everyone love. Simple, wholesome, and so much flavor!
RELATED: 20+ Easy Healthy Salad Recipes
In This Post
The ingredients for this recipe are SO simple and easy to find! Here’s what you’ll need:
Plain Yogurt – Plain greek or whole milk yogurt is the base of this recipe. Add water to adjust the consistency to taste!
Ancho Chili Powder – Made of ground dried poblano chiles, Ancho Chili Powder adds a smoky flavor with the right amount of kick.
Smoked Paprika – And speaking of smoky flavors, smoked paprika takes things to another level! However, you can also substitute with regular paprika if you don’t have this ingredient on hand.
Lime – Fresh lime juice balances the smoky and spicy flavors in the recipe.
Cilantro – Fresh or dried cilantro are both great options to bring cool, earthy flavors to this dressing!
Seasoning – This recipe uses a mix of cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper.
How to Make an Easy Southwest Salad Dressing
Making a Southwest Salad Dressing is incredibly easy. Simply combine yogurt, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, and basic seasoning like garlic, salt, and pepper. Shake it or whisk it together and enjoy!
TIP: Slowly add water to adjust the consistency of this dressing to taste (2 Tbsp at a time)!
Storing Yogurt-Based Salad Dressings
Yogurt-based salad dressings can be stored in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. This is a great option for keeping a healthy dressing option on hand all week long!
Salad Pairings for This Dressing Recipe
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Arugula Lentil Salad
- Poached Egg & Avocado Breakfast Salad
- Healthy Chicken Cobb Salad Recipe
- Easy Healthy Taco Salad w/ Ground Turkey
This salad dressing isn’t just for salads! You can also use it to add flavor to baked or roasted chicken, sandwiches, or even pizza. The options are limitless!
More Healthy Salad Dressings & Vinaigrettes
- Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing
- Easy Classic Lemon Vinaigrette
- Vegan Turmeric Ginger Dressing
- Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 10-Minute Healthy Ranch Dressing
Did you make this Southwest Salad Dressing recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
The BEST Southwest Salad Dressing
- 3/4 cup whole milk greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium lime (juiced)
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (or 2 Tbsp freshly chopped cilantro)
- Combine the ingredients in a salad shaker or bowl.
- Shake or whisk together until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Slowly add water to adjust the consistency of this dressing to taste (2 Tbsp at a time)!
- This Southwest Salad Dressing can be stored in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Leave a Reply