That moment where you bought way too many groceries because you were on a health kick (<—- as in daily life!) and all of your produce is now going bad in the refrigerator. Behold! This bright and colorful salad 🙂 I would hardly say that it was a mistake! And even if it was, sometimes mistakes turn out to be the BEST. Sweet, salty, earthy, fresh! This Beet Buckwheat Salad w/ Kale, Cabbage, & Carrots is perfection!
It also makes a great side dish. Or pack up the leftovers and take them to work for lunch the next day! I mean, there’s like a million opportunities here, people.
I used to HATE salads because:
- I always made them the same, boring way (romaine lettuce, carrots, grape tomatoes, chicken, and some sort of nasty low calorie preservative-filled dressing). <—-Sorry if that’s currently you. BUT NO MORE, FRIEND.
- I always wanted pizza instead.
- I associated them with the terrible word, diet.😷
I now LOVE salads because:
- I try to make them as colorful and creative as possible! Oh and I swapped that nasty diet dressing for something more natural, like olive oil, lemon juice, or 3 Ingredient Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing 🙂 Trust me, it’s WAY better.
- I’ve come to realize the way a colorful salad nourishes my body and gives it the energy it needs, more so than junk food like pizza (unless it’s Healthy Cauliflower Mushroom Pizza, of course!).
- When they’re loaded with colorful produce and tons of delicious ingredients, they’re amazing! I now see salads as contributing to my success, rather than taking me away from what I really want.
It’s been a big transformation, friends! I am truly a living example of an ex-junk food lover gone healthy. If I can do it, you can do it too! It’s all about finding creative salad recipes that you enjoy and using REAL ingredients. And if you already love salads, then ONWARD!
This recipe does require some cooking, but you can always make the roasted beets and buckwheat in advance and box it up for later. I love this buckwheat because it’s easy to make, organic, and gluten-free! It tastes amazing in this Beet Buckwheat Salad!
How do you feel about salads? Are they a yay or nay?
Beet Buckwheat Salad w/ Kale, Cabbage, & Carrots
- 6 beets
- 1/4 cup dry buckwheat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- coconut oil spray
- sea salt
- purple cabbage
- sliced carrots
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and cube the beets. Place on a baking sheet and lightly spray the coconut oil over them. Sprinkle sea salt on top!
- Roast the beets for about 30-40 minutes.
- While the beets are roasting, cook the dry buckwheat according to directions (using about 1/2 cup of water).
- Prepare and put the salad ingredients (cabbage, kale, carrots, olive oil) together. Top the salads with the cooked buckwheat and roasted beets.
- Serve and enjoy!