If you’re a protein bar fanatic like I am, then you may relate to my obsession with these Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars. I have been on the ultimate search for the perfect protein bar, and while I’ve found a few wonderful store-bought options, I LOVE this homemade version!
These Homemade Protein Bars are my go-to for a healthy, higher protein snack. They’re easy to make, easy to store, can help save money, and are great for staying full longer! They also taste like a delicious, indulgent treat. Make these peanut butter bars in 10 minutes or less, freeze, and enjoy for weeks to come!
RELATED: The 6 BEST Protein Bars for Women
Table of Contents
- How to Make Homemade Protein Bars (VIDEO)
- Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars (Substitutions & Variations)
- Topping Ideas
- Storing Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- More Healthy Protein Snack Recipes
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best protein bars!
Peanut Butter – Classic creamy peanut butter is the best option for these protein bars. However, any type of nut butter works great!
Vanilla Protein – Plant-based vanilla protein powder or whey vanilla protein powder both work wonderfully in this recipe.
Agave – Agave syrup adds the right amount of sweetness to this recipe. Honey also works great!
Chocolate Chips – Vegan chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips take these peanut butter protein bars to another level.
Coconut Oil – A touch of coconut oil mixed with the melted chocolate chips create a delicious chocolate glaze topping!
How to Make Homemade Protein Bars (VIDEO)
Note: This recipe has been updated since the creation of this video! While I loved it before, I think the bars have a much better structure to them now. The concept in the video is still the same, but I know that you will enjoy the new and improved taste of these Homemade Protein Bars as much as I do!
Here’s how to make Homemade Protein Bars (peanut butter or any type of nut butter):
- Combine peanut butter, protein powder, almond flour, and agave syrup.
- Pour into a square baking pan.
- Mix melted chocolate chips with coconut oil.
- Drizzle or pour over the peanut butter mixture.
- Freeze and cut into bars!
RELATED: 20+ BEST Vegan Protein Bars
Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars (Substitutions & Variations)
How to Make Peanut Butter Protein Bars without Peanut Butter?
You can make peanut butter protein bars with any type of nut butter. Almond butter, cashew butter, or a mixed nut butter are all great options!
The Best Types of Protein Powder to Use
CHECK THIS OUT: The 5 Best Vegan Protein Powders (Honest Review)
How to Make Homemade Protein Bars without Protein Powder?
While these protein bars are definitely best made with protein powder, there are still ways around this. Another option would be to use PB2 powder instead of protein powder!
Chocolate Chips vs. Chocolate Glaze
This recipe calls for a chocolate glaze made from chocolate chips and a little bit of coconut oil. However, another option would be to simply omit the coconut oil and mix the chocolate chips into the peanut butter protein bar “batter”, then freeze. This can help save on calories as well as save time!
Want to take these protein bars up a notch? Sprinkle or drizzle a fun topping on them! Here are some ideas:
- Chopped Pistachios
- Chopped Walnuts
- Sliced Almonds
- Hemp Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sea Salt
Storing Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars
It’s best to store Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy! Keep them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or frozen for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Protein Snack Recipes
- No-Bake Oatmeal Protein Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- Vanilla Cream Protein Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Banana Protein Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Cookies
- Blueberry Vanilla Protein Shake Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- Mix the peanut butter, protein powder, almond flour, and syrup together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the mixture into an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips for about 30-45 seconds in the microwave and mix in the coconut oil.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the bars and freeze for about 1 hour.
- Slice into 16 bars and enjoy!
- It’s best to store Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy! Keep them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or frozen for up to 3 months.