This Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto recipe is the ultimate dinner win! It truly doesn’t get any easier than this for healthy weeknight dinners. Throw the ingredients into the Instant Pot, pressure cook in 20 minutes or less, top it off with a little extra rosemary or fresh parsley, and done. It’s one of my all time favorites!
I love eating it on its own for a healthy vegetarian meal, since the mushrooms provide protein and healthy nutrients. But I also love adding in chicken, roast beef, or pairing it with other protein sources, too! There are so many ways to make this creamy and comforting recipe your own!
You’ll Also Love: 30+ Healthy Pasta Recipes (Easy & Comforting!)
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Need
- How to Make Mushroom Risotto in the Instant Pot
- Refrigerating/Freezing Instant Pot Risotto
- More Vegetarian Meals You’ll Love
- Other Side Dish Recipes
- More Instant Pot Recipes
What You’ll Need
Aside from a pressure cooker (the Instant Pot), here are some of the main ingredients that you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Olive Oil – While olive oil is used in this recipe, regular unsalted butter is an option as well.
- Onion/Garlic – I used fresh yellow onion and garlic. But onion powder and garlic powder are great options, too!
- Mushrooms – There’s nothing like the flavor that mushrooms add to this recipe. SO yummy!
- Rice – The rice in this recipe is arborio rice. However there are many great options to use!
- Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth work great in this recipe! Another way to take this recipe up a notch is to replace some of the broth with a dry white wine. So good!
- Rosemary – A few sprigs of fresh rosemary or dried rosemary adds so much flavor.
- Peas – Frozen peas that are fully thawed work best! However, you can also add in canned peas at the end of the recipe instead.
- Parmesan – Grated parmesan cheese takes the creamy texture and flavors to another level!
What Type of Rice to Use for Risotto
Arborio rice is the best type of rice for risotto recipes. This is because the grains in Arborio rice are shorter and contain a higher level of starch, so this type of rice is perfect for a creamier risotto! Other options include Carnaroli rice, regular white rice, and brown short-grain rice (although not as creamy).
Types of Mushrooms for Risotto Recipes
Portabella and Shiitake Mushrooms are the best types of mushrooms to use in risotto recipes!
Is Risotto Gluten-Free?
Yes! Because arborio rice is naturally gluten-free, risotto is also gluten-free.
Easily Make This Risotto Vegan
Want to make a vegan mushroom risotto? Simply substitute the grated parmesan for grated vegan cheese (or omit completely) and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth!
How to Make Mushroom Risotto in the Instant Pot
Making mushroom risotto in the Instant Pot is incredibly easy! Here’s how to make it in 20 minutes or less:
- Sauté the chopped onion, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil in the Instant Pot.
- Add broth, short-grain rice, and seasoning.
- Cook on high pressure (manual pressure) for 6 minutes.
- Natural release for 8 minutes, then vent.
- Remove the lid and stir in the peas and parmesan.
This recipe is truly one of the easiest, best healthy side dishes for weeknight meals. The total cook time comes out to about 14 minutes, so it’s definitely quick and easy! I know that you and your family will love this simple and wholesome risotto recipe.
Refrigerating/Freezing Instant Pot Risotto
This recipe is great for making ahead of time! To store, place the risotto in an airtight container with the lid and refrigerate for 3-5 days. To freeze, let it cool in the refrigerator for an hour, then place in the freezer for up to 3 months!
When you’re ready to reheat, thaw out the risotto in the refrigerator the night before and then microwave when ready to serve. To reheat from frozen, simply microwave the meal, stirring often.
More Vegetarian Meals You’ll Love
- Vegetarian Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry
- Spinach & Mushroom Vegetarian Lasagna
- Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
Other Side Dish Recipes
- Moroccan Chickpea Carrot Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Goat Cheese
- Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Chickpeas & Broccoli Pesto
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole w/ Rosemary Garlic Mushrooms
More Instant Pot Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
The BEST Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 large sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed (or canned)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Turn on the "Sauté" feature on the Instant Pot.
- Sauté the chopped onion, mushrooms, garlic, and oil for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the broth, rice, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to "Sealing".
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to natural release for another 8 minutes.
- Turn the valve to "Venting" to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Once the float valve has dropped, remove the lid.
- Stir in the peas and parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!