Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies Recipe – Valentine’s Day Hearts
I always love a fun recipe for Valentine’s Day! These Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies are made into cute Valentine’s Day hearts that I am quite honestly completely obsessed with. The texture is just right, the buttery flavor is perfection, and the sweet icing on top is perfect for decorating. This one of my faovirte gluten-free cookie recipes – they’re SO yummy!
RELATED: 45+ Valentine’s Day Dinner Ideas
Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- White Sugar
- Butter – softened at room temperature. Vegan butter works as well!
- Vanilla Extract
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Milk – Plant-based milk works great as a dairy-free option!
- Natural Food Coloring (as desired)
How to Make Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
It’s so easy to make Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies! Whether you roll out the dough and cut it out into hearts, another shape, or just make circle cookies, these perfectly flaky and soft sweet cookies are so delicious. Here’s how to make this recipe:
- Beat the sugar and butter together with an electric hand mixer in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the vanilla, then add the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined, then knead the dough with your hands to form a ball.
- Roll out the cookie dough, then cut out cookie shapes.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Bake the cookies, then let them cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk the icing together until smooth, then dip each cookie into the icing and let set!
TIP: Don’t skip out on freezing the cookies before baking – this helps them keep their shape!
Toppings for Valentine’s Day Heart Cookies
You’ll Also Love: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Overnight Oats
How to Store
These Gluten-Free Valentine’s Day Shortbread Cookies are best stored at room temperature for 4-5 days. They can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7-10 days!
Tip: Place these in cute and festive gift bags for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift!
More Gluten-Free Treats You’ll Love
- Gluten-Free Funfetti Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake w/ Tahini Chocolate Icing
- Almond Flour Cupcakes
- Homemade Date Twix Bars
- Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Love the recipe? Rate it below and sign up for my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Gluten-Free Valentine’s Day Shortbread Cookies
Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter (softened/room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- natural food coloring (as desired)
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer for about 20 seconds.
- Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add all of the remaining cookie ingredients, making sure to spoon and level the flour and cornstarch.
- Mix until combined, it will look dry and crumbly, but then knead with your hands until it comes together. It should be thick and smooth.Tip: If it looks dry, add 1/2 teaspoon of water at a time until it comes together.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut shapes using your cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 20 minutes. Do not skip this step or the cookies will not hold their shape!
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set and the bottoms are just very lightly golden brown.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the icing until smooth.
- Frost the cookies once completely cool and enjoy!