Easy, Healthy Burgers Recipe
There’s nothing like a good, freshly grilled burger after a day in the sun! Cooking out is one of my favorite things about the summer months. I’m especially loving these Kale Beef Burgers because:
- They’re a great way to hide veggies (even my picky toddler likes these)!
- As usual, they’re super easy to make.
- They can be customized.
- The topping options are limitless!
- They’re made with nourishing, better-for-you ingredients.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Healthy Burgers
To make these healthy Kale Beef Burgers, you’ll need the following ingredients for the recipe:
Kale Burger Patties
- Lean Ground Beef
- Minced Onion
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Chopped Kale
Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- Light Mayo
- Lime Juice
- Whole Wheat Burger Buns
- Red Onion
- Red Bell Peppers
- Kale Leaves (as an alternative to lettuce)
- Olive Oil/Salt
RELATED: Beef Curry Rice Burger Bowls
How to Make Healthy Kale Beef Burgers
Here’s how to make these healthy kale beef burgers:
- Mix ground beef, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, chopped kale, salt, and pepper in a bowl and let it marinate.
- Whisk together light mayo, lime juice, and sriracha to make the creamy sriracha sauce.
- Massage kale leaves with olive oil and salt.
- Grill or sauté red onion and red bell peppers until lightly charred.
- Shape the burger mixture into patties and cook them on a grill or a cast iron skillet.
- Assemble the burgers with the patties, red onion, red bell peppers, kale leaves, and creamy sriracha sauce.
That’s it – so easy! Feel free to serve with your favorite healthy side dishes or toppings.
Other Toppings and Mix-In Ideas
- Cilantro Lime Sauce – One of my favorite sauces for almost anything!
- Avocado Slices – Add some creamy avocado (sliced or mashed) on top of your burger for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Sautéed Mushrooms – Sauté some mushrooms with garlic and butter until golden brown, then pile them onto your burger for a savory and earthy addition.
- Crispy Bacon – Cook up some crispy bacon and crumble it over the burger for a smoky and indulgent twist.
- Cheese – Can’t go wrong with classic cheese on a burger! Melt your favorite cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, or pepper jack, on top of the burger patties for a gooey and melty delight.
- Pickles – Add some tanginess and crunch by topping your burgers with sliced dill pickles or pickled jalapeños.
- Tomatoes – Such a classic topping!
- Fried Egg – Top your burger with a fried egg for a delicious and satisfying protein boost.
- Caramelized Onions – Sauté thinly sliced onions in butter or oil until caramelized and sweet, then pile them onto your burger for a rich and sweet addition.
- Smoky BBQ Sauce – Brush your burger patties with smoky barbecue sauce or drizzle it on top for a bold and tangy flavor.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles – Sprinkle some blue cheese crumbles over the burgers for a tangy and pungent taste that pairs so perfectly with these kale beef burger patties.
- Goat Cheese – Truly a next-level addition!
Feel free to mix and match these toppings and mix-ins to create your own delicious combinations! Don’t be afraid to get creative and really make these burgers your own!
Healthy Sides for Burgers
- Crispy Yuca Fries Recipe
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Barbecue Ranch Pasta Salad
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini
- Moroccan Chickpea Carrot Salad
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
How to Store
Have leftovers? Here’s how to store healthy kale burgers:
- Let the burgers cool down to room temperature before storing them. This helps prevent moisture buildup and keeps the burgers from becoming soggy.
- Place the leftover burgers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. This helps maintain their freshness and prevents any odors from permeating the burgers.
- Store the burgers in the refrigerator. They can be kept in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- If you want to store the burgers for a longer period, you can freeze them. Wrap each burger individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Frozen burgers can be stored for up to 2-3 months.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the stored burgers, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Reheat the burgers in a skillet over medium heat until heated through, or you can also reheat them on a grill.
You’ll Also Love: 25+ BEST Healthy Taco Recipes
More Summer Recipes You’ll Love
- Cilantro Lime Rice Bowls
- Spicy Southwest Salad Recipe (Chick-Fil-A Copycat)
- Honey Glazed Salmon Bowls
- Crispy Chili Lime Chickpea Salad
- Instant Pot Carne Asada Tacos
- Hot Honey Chicken Bowls
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below! Also, I would love to be friends on Instagram: @jar.of.lemons!
Kale Beef Burgers w/ Red Peppers
Kale Beef Patties
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup very finely chopped kale
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 4 medium whole wheat burger buns
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients for the burgers in a large bowl.
- Cover and let marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Massage the large kale leaves with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt, then set aside.
- While the burgers marinate, grill or saute the red onion and bell peppers with the remaining tablespoon of oil until lightly charred. Set aside.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the burgers into 4 evenly-sized patties and flatten them with your hands.
- Add to your grill or use a greased cast iron skillet to cook on both sides until cooked through (about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on how you want them cooked).
- Assemble the burgers with the hamburger bums, veggies, sauce, and patties. Enjoy!