A few weeks ago, Cody and I took a babymoon vacation to Miami, FL. Our main focus was hanging out on the beach and getting in some relaxation and sunshine before our little guy arrives, but we definitely spent time eating out at cuban and Spanish restaurants (you know, the things you can’t find in good ‘ol Oklahoma)!
Something I’ve always heard of but had never tried was Spanish Paella! I was finally able to taste in while were in Miami and completely fell in love. I knew that I just had to make this recipe at home!
If you’re looking for a one-pan, easy, healthy weeknight dinner, then this Chicken and Seafood Paella is for you!
And aren’t those the best kind of recipes, anyway? Seriously, guys. This is one of my new faves and go-to’s!
What is in a paella?
In a nutshell, I used a brown rice, chicken, shrimp, tomatoes, chicken broth, lemon, and a mix of spices such as saffron, paprika, chili powder, parsley, and a hint of turmeric.
What is the best rice to use for paella?
If you can find Bomba Paella Rice (or order it HERE), that typically works best for Spanish paella. In this case, I just used a brown rice mix that worked wonderfully (because it’s what I had on hand).
Chicken and Seafood Paella
- 2 chicken breasts (medium)
- 1/4 onion (small)
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups rice (dry)
- pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked medium shrimp (deveined, tail-off)
- 1 lemon
- Cut the chicken into cubes.
- Chop the onion and grape tomatoes.
- Cook the onion and chicken in the olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Place a cover over the skillet for about 3 minutes to keep chicken from drying out.
- Add in the dry rice, crushed saffron threads, paprika, parsley, red chili powder, garlic, and turmeric.
- Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the broth and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until rice is soft).
- Add in the shrimp and tomatoes.
- Cook for another 3 minutes (or until shrimp is hot).
- Serve with fresh lemon slices and enjoy!