There’s nothing like good, delicious comfort food. Especially when it’s actually good for you! If you’ve loved our easy, one-pan recipes like the Spanish Rice & Beans or the Creamy Healthy Chicken Enchilada Skillet, then you’re going to LOVE this Chicken & Shrimp Spanish Paella.
Here’s why we’re obsessed with this recipe:
- It can all be made in one skillet.
- It’s quick and easy – no complicated methods here!
- It’s adjustable.
- Feeding a crowd or want to freeze leftovers for later? This recipe is perfect for batch cooking!
This is truly one of our favorite go-to recipes!
Watch this video for how to make Chicken & Shrimp Spanish Paella
Here are some of the main ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
Chicken Breasts – Don’t have chicken breasts on hand? Any type of chicken will work just fine. Another option is to use meat from a rotisserie chicken and simply add it in at the end!
Note: Get high quality, organic meats (like the chicken you’ll need for this recipe) at Butcher Box for a discounted price. The best part? They deliver it right to your doorstep!
Shrimp – Buying pre-cooked shrimp is perfect for saving time on this recipe! Just make sure that they are deveined, tail-off, and thawed before getting started.
Onion – Fresh, chopped onion is best for this recipe. However, dried onion flakes work great too!
Tomatoes – Grape tomatoes or a regular tomato works perfectly.
Chicken Broth – Don’t have chicken broth? Vegetable broth is a great substitution!
Spices/Herbs – Paprika, dried parsley, red chili powder, crushed garlic, turmeric. Delicious!
Saffron Threads – Saffron Threads are a unique flavor in Spanish Paella. However, if you aren’t able to get them, simply omit them from the recipe!
Lemon – Lemon juice adds a special zesty flavor to this yummy recipe!
We love how this Chicken & Shrimp Spanish Paella comes together in a cast iron skillet. However, a regular cooking pan works great, too!
How to make Spanish Paella
1. Cook the chicken and onion in a skillet.
2. Add in the rice, saffron threads, and other spices. Continue to cook.
3. Add in the broth, bring to a boil, then allow to simmer (covered).
4. Add in the shrimp and tomatoes and continue to cook.
How to freeze/store
This recipe is perfect as a make ahead or freezer meal! Simply make it according to the directions below, then place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator (without the lid) for about an hour. Once it’s cooled off, add the airtight lid and store in the refrigerator for up to a week or the freezer for up to 3 months!
More easy dinners you’ll love
- Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
- The BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- The BEST Easy Healthy Lasagna Recipe
Loving this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating in the recipe card below!
Chicken & Shrimp Spanish Paella
- 2 chicken breasts (medium)
- 1/4 onion (small)
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups rice (dry)
- saffron threads
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked medium shrimp (deveined, tail-off, thawed)
- 1 lemon
- Cut the chicken into cubes.
- Chop the onion and grape tomatoes.
- Cook the onion and chicken in the oil over medium-high heat in a skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Place a cover over the skillet for about 3 minutes to keep chicken from drying out.
- Add in the dry rice, crushed saffron threads, paprika, parsley, red chili powder, garlic, and turmeric.
- Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the broth and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until rice is soft).
- Add in the shrimp and tomatoes.
- Cook for another 3 minutes (or until shrimp is hot).
- Serve with fresh lemon slices and a squeeze of lemon juice!
- Feel free to use any type of chicken if you don’t have chicken breast on hand!
- Chicken broth can be substituted for vegetable broth.
- Don’t have saffron threads? Simply leave them out!