What is Buckwheat?
You might be interested to know that buckwheat is actually not wheat nor a grain. Buckwheat is grain-like seeds that come from a plant related to sorrell and rhubarb, who knew!?
It’s naturally gluten free, high in fiber and rich in nutrients linked to lowering blood sugars amongst other things. So all in all buckwheat is super healthy and definitely a great way to start your day!
How to Make Buckwheat Porridge
For this buckwheat porridge, I used a mix of buckwheat groats (seeds) and traditional porridge oats. They’re boiled with water and coconut milk which gives a delicious creaminess and maple syrup is added for sweetness.
It’s super easy and so comforting. The best part is choosing the toppings, here are some ideas for you:
Toppings to try
- Coconut shavings
- Fresh berries or any fresh fruits
- Dried fruits such as raisins and cranberries
Since it IS summer at the moment, I couldn’t think of a better breakfast combination than creamy coconut milk, sweet blackberries (which are totally in season right now!), and delicious porridge made out of rolled oats and buckwheat groats (this is my hands down favorite kind). So good, refreshing, and such a wholesome way to start the day!
Oh, and this recipe takes 10 minutes to make! HECK to the YES!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Tofu Scramble Vegan Breakfast Bowl
- Blueberry & Yogurt Breakfast Bowls
- Tomato & Lentil Breakfast Bruschetta
- Poached Egg & Avocado Breakfast Salad
- Pomegranate Breakfast Parfait
Are you a breakfast fanatic like me? What’s your fave breakfast meal?
Blackberry & Coconut Buckwheat Porridge
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cup blackberries
- Cook the rolled oats and buckwheat groats in water, bringing to a boil.
- Lower heat and add the coconut milk, cooking for about 7 minutes or until the groats have softened.
- Remove from heat and mix in the maple syrup.
- Top with blackberries and coconut shavings (optional). Enjoy!